Sunday, October 5, 2008

Trip to Maine

Harvey and I went up to Portland, ME on September 24 and spent three wonderful days up there before the downpour from Hurricane Kyle moved in. We spent 2 days at Acadia National Park, which is absolutely beautiful. We went atop of Cadillac Mountain and saw some spectacular views! We were very fortunate to have done this on the first day since the clear views were getting dimmer due to all the cloud cover coming in from the storm system.
We spent one day walking through Bar Harbor, ME. There were a couple of cruise ships that had anchored on that same day, so it was pretty crowded. But they have plenty of lovely cafes where you can just sit, drink coffee, play board games, read or just people watch. We enjoyed the latte and played scrabble for awhile and after Harvey won (he always gets the triples!), we just enjoyed the views.
They have a lot of lovely bed and breakfast places and lots of cottages that you can rent. It is very, very busy in the summer they told us and for the snow lovers it must be a wonderful place to be too. While we were walking and driving around and seeing all the bed and breakfast's, all I could picture in my mind was the old situation comedy with Bob Newhart and Suzanne Pleshette and I told Harvey I was sure that I saw Larry, Larry and the other brother Larry around there at a few places!
We spent the last afternoon, just as the storm was coming in on a whale watching boat. They forewarned everyone that it would be an exceptionally rough ride due to the arriving storm and they could not promise us if we would be able to make out as far as the whales were for that same reason. Oh, it was a rough ride alright, I upchucked once, but that was all. It was all worth it because we saw a fantastic array of hump back whales. There was a whale expert from the local marine biology school on board who gave us all the information about the whales and could tell so much about them as we enjoyed their antics. Here are a few pictures I was able to snap.

No comments: